Friday, October 19, 2007

The Final Lady of Peace - A Night to Remember

I must confess that this post, is by far and large, the hardest post I have ever written. Coz as I type, unlike other posts where ideas just flow on and on, here I am, stuck, figuring word for word, piecing pictures and images and memories together, to come up with a last post about her. Significantly marking a little end to a close partnership I have enjoyed with her while working together for the Lord.

It's more than a year since I first met her. From that first hand shake as related in the first post about her, we have came a long way. Partners in Christ, workers of His kingdom, servants of the Lord.

People look at us, close, laughing, talking together so much, little do they know what are the conversations that take place between us. It is easily perceived that we're nothing more or less of a couple in love, youths in a relationship that decide to spend time together. It's easy for the side that's doing the assumption and stuff.

It's not.

One weekend, I casually invited her out for dinner at Subang. Had a long talk, a short talk, and a nice - but costly - dinner. After that was a small talk about CA. What has happened throughout the year, what we have went through, how we dealt with problems and crisises, how far has it went..

And I realized, that was it. There it is, a job completed, a completed work, a term that we all ran and finished together, minus some last preparations before a complete handover can take place.

I sighed. Caught in a dilemma of relief and sadness. Relieved because we managed to pull through, because the dedicated team of people that were always behind and beside us slogged harder than anyone else, because of the things we went through together, the whole team is now closer together. Amanda once promised us, "Believe it or not, CA will be your family, CA will be your closest friends, CA is your home." Reflecting on those words of wisdom, I couldn't have said it any better.

And sad, because a great partnership has officially ended.Over my many years of service to the school or to my bosses that I've worked for, I always work with a partner. I always perform better when with a great partner. Worked with great emcees for major events, I've worked with awesome debaters in tournaments like Sathya, Deenish and most recently Rachel, had great teams of people working on projects like with Wei Li..

...but really, nothing beats working with her. Behind the scenes of CA, where business is business and God's work is real serious, there are little things that God puts along the way to help us grow and learn, and have some joy out of it. This partner is one of it.

And reflecting on things, I have came a long way with her. Many might not know that the reason why I enjoy working with her is not because it's easy to get along with her. I won't disagree if anyone tells me that she's the nicest person to be with - because it's true at times - but at the same time, it's not.

Maybe one of the reasons why I enjoyed my 1 year period of working with her, was because of the many partners I've worked with, I never had such an opportunity to know them as much as I knew her. And other bonuses too were similar family background, a history of once being rejected and isolated, never enjoyed material luxury, but more importantly, same passion and same love for God.

But maybe, the greatest reason was because she taught me how to be a better person for myself, for other people, for God.

She taught me how to not judge people. Like anyone, we have our own past. A past of being condemned, judged and deemed unworthy. A history of not being accepted, being secluded and being isolated. Knowing how it feels like to be in that position is one thing, but being in a position to make a change is another thing. And altogether, we were together placed in a position to make that change, she taught me how to not make the same mistakes others did.

She taught me that no one is perfect. No matter how nice you can be, there will always be a time where you make mistakes or piss someone off. At least, she made me realize the number of times I pissed her off. She never reserved her comments on me, and one thing for sure, she never lied. She never hide her anger and her fury when I made her feel so. She reminded me that it's ok to be angry and to quarrel. We quarreled a lot, and after the quarrel I'd be the remorseful one that feels like a total asshole for making her angry in the first place.

More importantly, she showed me that though you may have screwed things up so badly where people are concern, there can always be a second chance. She was always forgiving, and she taught me how to say sorry by first saying it.

The day she said she was sorry, was the day that she made me cry. Amazingly, I am a person that will almost cry for nothing, and yet she made me cry. It wasn't anything big or major or important, instead it was over a small comment that she made about a photo I took. Hurt, especially when an undesirable comment came from someone that meant so much to you. Tears that fell, were like a river washing through a dry bank. For the first time in my life, I thank God for putting those tears in me.

Earlier the year, I almost allowed myself to believe that after all that I've went through, I have no more tears left to shed. Yet God could use a partner to prove otherwise. Probably God was laughing and mocking me when He made me cry, but I thank God that He again made me realize that there will always be no end to tears, because as long as there are tears, there is hope of a someone that will wipe it away.

For as much as I have seen her tears, so has she seen mine. Not the physical tears, but she the tears in the heart that no one sees unless you open it up for them. And as usual, she being the sensible one may not wipe it away, but she'll help me get over and along with other things ahead.

"Let it go."

That night, as I talk to her, somehow I was just overwhelmed with sadness and a tinge of fear. Sad because I know I probably won't lose a great and loving friend, but because I've lost opportunities to work with her. A lil fearful, worried about whether I'll ever be able to meet someone as wonderful as her.

"Thank you," I finally blurted out, "For that fantastic partnership that you've given me."

"Uh, not me boy," she replied. "It came from God." I smiled. That was just her. Never taking the credit for herself, always giving it back to where it truly deserved.

I stretched out my hand, almost the same way I stretched it out one and a half years ago. That time, it was a show of new friendship, now the end of an almost magical year of working and laughing and crying.

She replied similarly, the same handshake. Holding her hand, I could feel the cleavages along her palm. Hard, from the labour of her past and history, and yet warm, from the sincerity and the trueness of a friend that is often lacking in a world of competition and business.

Somehow, something in me told me to not let go. Something in me prompted me to just hang on and hold on. I wanted to. Dearly. But I know that the time will eventually come where you must let go of what is in front of you for something ahead of you that you may not see.
Still, I'll never like the idea of memories. Memories are mere symbols of the past. I hate to be reminded of the past. I wished I never had memories, but rather be in the presence of beautiful things. Where memories are only things that you can recall and wish it was happening, I want to be in the midst of real beautiful things that happen.

Never liking it though, won't change the fact that memories now are all that is left with me now. This is the last and final post, no more will anyone read about her. A promise that must be kept, a word I gave her that will be fulfilled. A magical partnership, a splendid year, a great friend I will remember. Beautiful not in what she looks like, not in what she has, but simply in what she is. A lady of peace that I won't ever forget. Not especially that night, and certainly not that last handshake.

19 comments:

Leen said...

HEY!

I just called her like 1 or 2 days ago to say hi. =D

If I have to put one adjective to describe her, it will be "splendid". ^____^










And Amanda is so right about CA being our family. T_____T I miss CA!!!! T_________T

Evee said...

hey.. erhh
she's leaving?

Peiling said...

Both u and erin have been a blessing to all of us,and will always be :)

Sihan said...

What a grand finale for this LOP series.....

Actually, I'm quite relieved....

It's is not an easy journey but you have learnt something. Something people won't learn if they never experience it.

Not easy to comment on this blog, since you spent more than 3 hours on this post, there is no reason for me to leave short comment.

Surely, there is sadness behind the post, but what I see is the growth. Growth in both spiritual and physical aspects. Joash, not everyone has this kind of chance to learn how to grow up, some of them never grow up.

Although the lesson didn't come without price, what you learn from this lesson will benefit you forever.

Friendships, laughter, love to our God....

I think you will cherish them in the rest of your life.

Glad that you realize what I've told you....

Cheers

Anonymous said...

When a passage of our life's journey comes to an end(as it seems to you now), it doesn't necessary mean it is the end of the the road, just a different course or a detour. What you have learnt from your partnership with Erin is God's way of teaching you to be a good partner to whoever works with you in any project or challenges. Don't be sad, Joash, because God has great things in store for you to accomplish and He will continue to bless you with comrades who has the same passion/vision to persevere on for HIM. It is always sad to leave and start afresh a new chapter but we are never to hang on to the past but to run forward to the finishing line which is our goal and our reward.

stephy said...

Hoh, I spent about an hour reading all your ‘lady of peace’ series as I just know you after the three episode of post. i guess it is different when read all in one time than read separately.I need not wait for so long to read for the next post like other reader. You are indeed fortunate for at least having the opportunity to be the partner of Erin last 1 year. (I don’t even have once).sad…..she is such a great person. Sometimes, we need a break and pit stop to reflect on event that you have gone through, check whether or not the mistakes and thing that can be improve. so that to shape you into a better partner or person in future to serve god. Temporary lost make you treasure, appreciate and learn. After all, it’s just a bend not an end.

Erm, I personally think that memory is the greatest thing that god had granted us. A person who doesn’t have memory is similarly no identity, no experience, don’t have any testimony to share out, nothing. Now, at least you possess the special memory between you and her.

i totally agree with amanda and pei ling.CA, you and erin indeed a blessing to all of us.

HeartzOfGold said...

memories have always been more a curse than a blessing to me.

it's called memory, simply because you used to have it, no longer now. i don't want that. i certainly want to always live in it, not merely 'remembering' it.

Mandy :) said...

haha.. seems that everyone agrees with my words about CA being a family like no other.. juniors and superjuniors alike.. i feel OLD ;P am still missing CA.. A LOT!

pc said...

As we retrace our paths in the future,

believe me dude,

we will give it a small cute smile

cheers life!

pc

Johnsoneo said...

I was wondering what's wrong because it seems my comment isnt posted.

Anyway, great. You know what I mean by that. Regret, and to be regretful. Thank, and I shall cherish what I already have. There's a small portion of college life that I'd seriously missed.

Back, no more. Thank You Joe. Deep

Anonymous said...

nice post =) yea,i won't praise Erin anymore here coz dun want her to kembang when she reads this (blueks) =P
i'm thankful for what God has been doing and is still doing in ur life.the healing,joy n peace that He is placing in you (mayb even without ur knowledge)..i just pray that you'll continue to allow Him to work freely in ur life.

i once thought God was mocking me,just as you did. but yu wan helped me realize that He never does. He cries when we cry,n i think He feels very sad when we dun take time to understand or trust in Him..so dun think God mocks us,k?

God Bless =)

Unknown said...

mum and dad handing over the job to the juniors or wat?

Anonymous said...

do not consider your memories a curse. you're just torturing yourself. memories of such meaningful experiences such as this, they're things to cherish, not despise.

better to have had at one time than to never have had at all, right? consider yourself blessed that you were granted the opportunity to work with such a beautiful person.

cheers.

HeartzOfGold said...

thanks k.. reali appreciate it. yup. will bear that in mind.should stop complaining bout it rit?

ej said...

aiks. still dun understand.. mum going awayor dad goin away or ca changing boss or a mixture of the above???

Anonymous said...

I really salute you~ you can write about someone with the details which i can never do..Erm,perhaps i havent met anyone who inspires me to write such long and nice post~ =)

Yea,i hate memory.Agree what you said.It's called memory because you cant have it anymore.It's already passed~ You can only remember it.It's worse when they are good memories.You miss everything good that had happened but you cant have it now.Know how you feel.I feel the same way...

Ish,i am bad in giving comments.I ponder about many things everytime i read your posts..Really..but i just dont know what to comment..=)But,what i wanna say is,You are a good blogger..=)


cheer,
chelle

LX said...

WHOA! This is a good post. I wonder if Choon Wei ever written one for Wei Sian (both of them were core persons for CA 2004-2005)... I realised how old I am after reading this new generation CA-er.

Anonymous said...

well, somehow or rather, i feel that i can relate, in one way or another, no matter how little, moving on can be hurtful and miserable, but it's a process of growing. and if God has a plan for the both of you together, He will bring the both of you back together again. right now, God might be using this separation as a test to gauge your faith and all that, but i trust and believe that God is faithful and will provide. take care my dear friend and brother. cheer up. all the best in everything. love ya!

Anonymous said...

well, somehow or rather, i feel that i can relate, in one way or another, no matter how little, moving on can be hurtful and miserable, but it's a process of growing. and if God has a plan for the both of you together, He will bring the both of you back together again. right now, God might be using this separation as a test to gauge your faith and all that, but i trust and believe that God is faithful and will provide. take care my dear friend and brother. cheer up. all the best in everything. love ya!