Friday, January 23, 2009

The Magical Rain Dance - Mummy's Birthday Story

When I was small, probably 4 or 5, the rain was one moment that I truly looked forward to. Not only would I be able to get off the high chair and stop doing the maths questions my mom prepared for me, I also get to run out into the rain.


My mom ain’t the typical mother, neither ‘loose’ till the extent that I can do anything, nor ‘strict’ till I get deprived of everything that’s fun and nice. So what she’d do was she’d dress me and my brother in a tiny raincoat before letting us run out into the porch as the rain started to pour.


The rain was not the best part. Seriously, it was just like a huge shower that fell all over the porch. Once, I even asked my mom what was the difference between rain and taking a bathe, and if I haven’t mistaken, my mom said that you can’t use soap or take of your shirt in the rain. I wonder now, how was it that I never asked her why.


It was how my mom would run out into the rain along with me and my brother that makes the rain truly special. It was my mom who taught us the special ‘rain’ dance. First time running out into the rain, we were lost, not knowing what to do. She stepped out, opened her hands wide, looked face up into the teary skies, and spun herself round and round. We followed suit, and realized that it was just so much fun.


Then my mom would take my hand in one, and my brother’s in the other. And as I grabbed my brother’s free hand, forming a circle, we would start spinning around like a small dance by a bonfire. Laughing all the way, occasionally slipping on the wet floor followed by a perfect land on the ass, getting up still laughing despite the pain, and the dance just goes on and on.


When the rain slowly subsides and it was time to get back inside, my mom would take out those huge towels and wrap me and my brother up to dry us. Still giggling and laughing, my mom would rub us warm and hard, till we’re completely dry.


“Mummy, why does it rain?”


Still rubbing away, my mom said without even thinking, “Coz God loves the trees and the grass… if He didn’t water them, then they would die.”


“Then why doesn’t God water us too?”


Our eyes met, and with that magical smile, she simply said, “Coz you already have Mummy right?” I think we both laughed as my mom hugged me tightly that day.


Though it’s been a long time since I actually last danced in the rain, or felt the warmth of a huge towel wrapped around my body, I’m nevertheless grateful that some things still remain. Like, that beautiful smile that paints my mom’s face, the warmth of her love that knows no boundaries, and very simply, the magical mom that still is, very much, magical in every way I've ever known.


Happy Birthday Mummy, I love you.

6 comments:

On eagle's wings said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNTY KEE LAY!! WE LOVE YOU TOO.. =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joash.I remember how I used to pray after I bathed you and Jo Hann that you two would not fall sick after playing in the rain. Grandma and grandpa would have been so upset to find out how their two precious boys were sick after playing in the rain.

Love you, Joash and thanks also to 'On eagle's wings' for your birthday wishes and love.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, aunty!! ^^

On eagle's wings said...

oh, it's xing yao here by the way. =)

Peiling said...

Happy Birthday aunty!!!

U are not just a great mum to Joash n Jo Hann,but to all who knows u, we are really blessed.

God has make a wonderful lady tat reflects of His light n grace =)

We love you!!

The Skatemusicianer said...

Happy birthday Joash's mum! : )

Joash, you are truly blessed with great parents.