Thursday, October 1, 2009

Part 3: 100 Coincidences

Over the years, I’ve learned that seldom was there such a thing called coincidence. That was, at least, where my parents were concerned.


For instance, when I heard dad’s car engine and then the sound died, when the metal keys jingled in the background, door creaked open, socks rubbed on the carpet, after a ‘Hi Son’ and a ‘Hi Dad’ reply, mom immediately asked me to help her do something.


“Mike, can you help find mom’s glasses? I think it’s somewhere in my room.” My forehead tightened as I shoved my mini Braille typewriter into my pocket, stacked up my books and head to her room. “It’s near the bathroom I think?” I’m sure it’s near the bathroom, I thought to myself. It’s the furthest corner from the hall where dad and mom were going to ‘talk’.


“Come Sam,” I waved my hand below my waist. His paws ruffled along the carpet, his neck bell jingling furiously. Opened door, left it open for awhile to let the bell jingle into the room, then closed it behind me.


School called again dear, my mom’s unmistakable voice. Mike’s being teased at again.


Is he alright? I regretted letting Sam into dad’s room, his panting was too loud, can’t hear my parents very clearly.


Ken… It’s not about whether he’s alright... Of course he’s alright, but he doesn’t even know why those kids tease him and he’s not even telling us about it.


He doesn’t even know what’s different about him.



Dad was quiet for awhile. So it was a mistake to put him in school?


No, but it’s a mistake that we still don’t know what to tell him.



I found mom’s glasses. She always put it at the same spot, in front of the big smooth and cold surface she called mirror. Taking the glasses in my palm, I sat on the bed, waiting for the ‘talk’ to be ‘over’, meanwhile rubbing Sam on his head.


It’s really your fault dear, mom’s voice sounded shaky. You’re the eye expert, you’re the one that spent so many years studying medicine, and yet you still never properly explained to Mike what he’s going through.


This was probably the hundreth time overhearing mom saying that to dad. I know it was rude to eavesdrop, but I really couldn’t help listening when their voices were not exactly the softest around the house. Or maybe I could hear things better than the others.


And for the hundreth time, I asked myself, what actually, really, was wrong with me? Yea, I know I can’t see, but what’s the big deal about seeing?


“What is seeing?” I asked.


I’m trying alright? I’m really working on finding a proper explanation. I’m sorry things turned out this way ok? The gentle pounding on the stairs grew louder. I quickly got up from the bed, and exactly before the door creaked, “Mom! I found your glasses.”


Door creaked, 2 sets of footsteps, both halted together. “Thanks Mike! You’re really a great help.” Mom squeezed me and pecked me on the forehead. “Where did you find it?”


Outside the bathroom, somewhere on the chair, I lied.


Hey son, dad came by and patted me on the shoulder. How’s your day?


Great, I blurted, trying not to sound sarcastic, forcing a smile over my face. I had fun in school. I felt for a space between dad and the door, quickly got out of the room and went back to my study table and touched my books again. At least I could pretend that I had no idea what was going on and continued studying. I pulled out my handphone and punched a few buttons. “Uncle James, can you please take me out for dinner? Mom and Dad were arguing about me again.” The phone regurgitated every word I typed.


Uncle James’ reply came swiftly. Sure boy! See you in a while, my special phone read my message out loud. At least Uncle James was always there for me when they quarreled. He seemed to be able to understand me better, or at least he tried to understand me better, I thought while resting my phone on the table.


I'm glad to have friends like Uncle James. I wished people would treat me like him, like I’m ‘not special’. Just couldn’t help think that I’m just a normal kid surrounded by people paranoid about my non-existing abnormality which I myself don't know about. Especially my parents and teachers in school.


Where’s Sam? I groaned as I realized I must’ve left him in dad’s room. Now I have to make another trip back to get him before Mom yells. Truth be said, I know I'm forgetful, but I also know that I'm still normal.

No comments: