Friday, September 12, 2008

I. Miss U.

Waking up to the calls of the phone alarm, bending over the bed to switch it off, then slowly crawling out of the bed even when the eyes are still not fully opened, or the sun is not fully up. To walk to the desk and turn on the lights, sitting on a chair that provides little comfort when in front of the lecture notes:

I miss the days where my mother would wake me up. With ruffling on the head and a gentle whisper, those moments define the beginning of a beautiful day.

Walking out from a steamy shower hoping that it would keep me awake for the next 2 hours, tightening the buttons over the chest and wrist; knotting the ties before draping the stethoscope over the neck, and walking out of the house with a pen in the pocket and papers in the hand:

I miss the times when my dad would wait for me at the dining table, send me to school, and hearing those assuring words of "I love you" as I step out of the car, those minutes reminded me that I'm a son of a great dad.

Picking up a copy of free newspaper before ascending the 4 flights of stairs to my lecture hall, to open the doors entering an empty theater to be soon filled by people of all colours and ages; sitting down half browsing the papers before quickly turning back to the notes prepared nights before, and patiently waiting for the lecturer to walk in with profound sciences to be taught:

I miss the mornings where teachers amaze me with the simplest of ideas, when maths was so simple yet so fun, when science was so obvious yet so wonderful, when writing was a joy and a pleasure. It's a pity we can never be a child all over again.

Hustling through the narrow shelves searching for the book in a red cover, rushing downstairs again to the photocopy shop to get some articles copied; passing by crowds with occasional greetings of Hi's and Bye's, sometimes even forgetting names and addresses, when a smile is weary and a laughter is fake:

I miss the times when the reason we ran was laughter, and the people we met were people we love. Where laughter was genuine and a smile was from the heart, those days just seem so far away.


What I've learned in the last few weeks of Uni life has taught me, that medicine is a journey of rediscovering yourself by first understanding others. The fear that 'what I do not know could kill a patient' is extremely real. Perhaps it is a necessary fear to keep us on our feet, yet,

"It is not what we know, but what they know that would save a life"

Do they know who's the keeper of the lives? Do they know the source of true joy and laughter? Do they still remember the Giver of those happy days in their life?

IMU, stands for I Miss U. The memories that were graciously given to me, that I've taken for granted over the years; the people I've met and loved, that I've often neglected; the laughter and smiles that I could've given more generously; last but not least, the Reason of my being in IMU, and the Shaper of my future.

7 comments:

Sihan said...

I miss u reminds me of i murdered u. haha

But, what you say is true. It's altogether a different journey of self-discovery. So many new things, so many new experience.

Let's toast for our days in IMU!!

Anonymous said...

profound. well said.

wtze said...

feelinng and emotions i can never put into words.
cheers!~

Elaine aka yee lin aka leaf said...

Interesting and meaningful,your words are magical.Tried to imagine how you felt when you were writing this.
Quite a romantic tranformation,from IMU to I Miss You..well..Si Han's one is funny..
All the best in IMU ya!
take care.

gloria :) said...

nice one :)
All the best, jo!

tncchristina said...

Hi,
How is everyone?
Jo, Sihan, Erin, Siaw Jin(sorry for wrong spelling) and girl friend.

Love from Kuching.

Gloria's mom

HeartzOfGold said...

hi aunty tsan..

we're all fine and well!! sihan and me living together in IMU.. erin living with someone else..

siaw jing already left for ireland.. the girlfriend is working..

how are you doing?

=D