Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Give Me Back What is Mine"

Based on A True Story

I will never forget that night. My dad slapped me. He slapped me and was almost shouting at me. He was so angry, so mad, so furious.

I stole something from him. It's really no big deal, it's just something small and cheap - now that I look back to think - and it's so insignificant. It's not like I stole a nuclear bomb and planned to destruct the whole world, or the family pendant that I took to a pawn shop.

It was just a little handkerchief. A small, cotton handkerchief that I liked very very much. It had a nice little flower pattern at the bottom left corner, and a brown frame half a cm from the borders of the handkerchief. It was soft and it was smooth, and I loved it very much.

Stumbling upon that handkerchief for the first time in my parents' room, it was lying on the floor, like it belonged to nobody. But of course, despite my age, I could have already deduced by then that if it was on the floor in my parents' room, then it had to belong to my parents. I picked it up, brought it to my mother and asked her whether I could have it.

"It's not mine, it's your dad's. Go ask him."

And my heart sank. I knew that I would never be able to have it. My dad is a stingy man. He will never give me what I want. Even a small toy or an ice-cream, I was dead sure that if I were to ask him, I'd be better off not asking for it in the very first place. If I wanted something real badly, it would have to be asked from my mother, and not my dad.

Secretly, I kept the handkerchief. I wanted it very badly. It was nice to touch and hold. Especially when you are bored - after all, I was just a kid who had nothing better to do - I would just lie on the bed, and play with that handkerchief. It was my little companion from the first day I found it, and it was my source of happiness and imagination. I wrapped it around my head and played pirates, I put it over my mouth and I was a thief, I tied it on my knee and impersonated a limping soldier wounded in battle.

Later, the handkerchief became more than just a source of imagination, it became my little comfort zone. I'd come back from school emotionally bruised after being bullied by the kids in the kindergarten, and I'd lock myself up in the room and take out the handkerchief from under my bed, and start wiping my tears with it. Then holding it in my head, I'd talk to it as if as I was allowing the handkerchief to understand what I was going through. There were the times that I thought it didn't know what I was talking about, and I'd get so fed-up of it and will just throw it around, only to feel bad for treating my 'good friend' that way, pick it up, wipe the dust of it and rub it lovingly again.

But alas, my dad found out about the handkerchief, and trust me, he sure was furious.

"How dare you take something from me without permission?" He bellowed. That was stealing, he claimed.

But you already have so many handkerchiefs, why couldn't I just take that one? Not like it means so much to you... And I refused to return that handkerchief. I love it so much, why couldn't I keep it? I'm taking very good care of it, I even wash it every week secretly. What's wrong?

"Give me back what is mine." he commanded. I refused. He repeated the command, and I still refused.

That did it. The slap came flying towards me and landed accurately on my cheek. Taken off by the blow, the impact sent me sprawling on the ground. Heat seared on my face, tears welled in my eyes, I grew even more resilient and angry.

"It wil never be yours!" I yelled and I ran up to my room.

Soon, things became very hostile between me and my dad. He became that angry and fearful man to me, and I will always dodge away from him when he comes into sight, even at home. Could you actually imagine a little 6-year-old kid avoiding his dad in his dad's house and home? Ridiculously hilarious, but that was me back then.

And I realized, that nothing will ever change, until and unless I surrender that handkerchief back to him.

There was only one reason why I refused to give the handkerchief up. I wanted it so badly, and that was only because I thought I found comfort in that handkerchief. To me, that handkerchief is my world. Eevrything to me. And I couldn't live without it.

One night, my dad walked into my room, sat down beside me on the bed, and looked at me. I nearly pissed in my pants, but as I saw into my dad's eyes, I saw so much love, so much forgiveness, so much kindness through his eyes. The evil dad that wouldn't even allow me to give me a small handkerchief, was now a gentle and loving dad.

"Son," he said softly while running his fingers through my hair. "It's not about the handkerchief, but when you steal something that's not yours, when you take something that's mine and not yours, how can I give you something better, that I have always wanted to give you?"

I hid my face underneath my blanket. Deep inside, I was so angry with myself that I made my dad so mad back then, and yet there's a struggle to surrender the handkerchief that I've grown so fond of up. I didn't want to lose a little possession, but I didn't want to make my dad angry either.

"Will you give me back what is mine?" This time, the gentle voice over the blanket, prompted me to do the right thing.

Pulling out the handkerchief from under my pillow, I held it in my palms and gazed at it for a last time. Thank you for everything you've been to me, little handkerchief. Controlling my tears and my feelings, I slowly handed the handkerchief back to my dad. A little smile carved across his face as I gently dropped the cloth into my dad's palm.

With one hand stuffing the handkerchief into his pocket, he pulled out another handkerchief with the other hand from a different pocket. He took my little hand, and firmly gave me that new handkerchief. A brand new handkerchief, it was far smoother and silkier than the cotton handkerchief. It had embroidery and was made of silk linen, and had the most sophisticated golden designs all across the handkerchief. Later I discovered it was a silk fabric imported from Italy, and it was worth a treasure to many people.

"The best things in life comes," he paused to look at me again, "when you make that choice to give me what I want so I can give you things that are even better."

That handkerchief still stays in my pocket till now. If I knew that I could have got a better handkerchief from Italy than the one found on the floor, I would have never even looked at the floor, but would have straight looked up to my dad, and asked for it, believing that though he will not say yes immediately, he will never let me not have what is best for me.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

the thing that is not yours will never be yours.

I'm glad you finally realise it's time to let go.

I'm sure someday, somewhere, you'll find something that belongs to you.

this post is a very important post, believe me, because it's a milestone.

You'll never be the same Joash again but your old friend will never forsake you.

Motive, Love and God are the things that matter at the end of the day.

Pray more.

Anonymous said...

Words of wisdom, sihan.
Letting go is never easy but when you let go of the thing that is not yours, you can be very sure you will be a happier person when the struggles cease and the 'lost' are replaced by assurances of God's presence in your life because in the presence of The Lord there is fullness of joy. Always remember when you ask for a fish, God will not give you a snake. So ASK FROM THE GIVER and not to look for the "gift" yourself.

Anonymous said...

An interesting blog. From the comments I guess the message behind all this is that don't hold on to what is not yours. Someone, once said, Let go and if it is yours it will fly back"

However it does not change the fact that you have a terrible father. Any father who lays his hand on his child especially over a handkerchief should not be let free on the streets. As a father myself permit me to apologise for him and to besiege you to forgive him.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Lol. Er, I'm not sure if you remember me but, we know each other in CGMC many, many, gazillion years back.

*wonders if you recall a girl name Joanne Lee*

So, anyways. Just dropping a note to say hi, wondering how things have been with you (Seriously, it's been THAT long).

Toodleys!

HeartzOfGold said...

to the 2nd anonymous:

thanks for ur comment. this article is a purely symbolical article. the 'slapping' is a symbol of wrath and anger, not a literary act of inflicting pain on the son.

after all, this whole post is written based on a true story, but the true events that actually unfold are masked behind the using of a handkerchief.

have to be careful dude. haha.

but hope you like it. don't worry, my dad loves me enough to never slap me over a handkerchief. as i said, purely symbolic.

Peiling said...

What should i say anymore when sihan had stole all my lines???

Holding on to something tat does not belongs to us,its a burden,an unnecessary n bitter burden.It causes us to fall,and it hurts...
At the end of the day when u have decided to put it down,u will realise tat this path is not tat tough and rocky after all without something tat has been tying u down n keep u from moving on all tis while.Let go of the past n use the same hands to receive a future,a future that truly belongs you,Tan-Loh Joash :)U will never be alone in this journey,a promise.

Anonymous said...

EH.

Othello got stolen handkerchief, heartzofgold also got handkerchief. Pink strawberries in Othello, here.. small flower???

=P

But seriously, good post.

Kimberly said...

awesome post =) deep..

Anonymous said...

Joash, we all belong to God and to Him we will return. Things happen for reasons. whoever or whatever that handkerchief symbolizes must have some personal reasons in stealing your heart?

HeartzOfGold said...

DEAR PEI LING @ JOYCE

thanks for your comment. i reali reali reali appreciate your comment. thank you so much for taking time off to read it.. you have no idea how much it means to me....

thanks a bunch again ya....

cheers

Anonymous said...

hey joash, it's been a while since i last read ur blog. it's relli good really:) so simple are the words yet so profound and deep. keep writing. it truly blesses those who reads em
cheers~!!

Anonymous said...

For the very first time i read the whole article containing storyline in ur blog... lolz... n guess wat??? i can understand... Wakaka... i am so proud of myself tat i can understand Joash's article... lolz... but anyway... Nice one... Well, i guess tat is wat u told me... "I will never let my blog has nothing to let others see..." n congrates... u are doing tat very well indeed... hehe... keep on ur gud efforts...

Anonymous said...

This is a good reflective post. I enjoyed it. It is good to have a good blog around available for reading. Comparing it with other mediocre blogs that only talk about their ramblings and yada yada yada, I think your blog has a certain maturity value.

I like the way you brought this memory. Be it real or not, I think you've successfully caught your readers' attention and portray the message across.

Perhaps it is humanity to always think that the thing we have at hand is the best and stop to wonder if something greater would be offered. Humans are selfish, remember this to the depths of your skull. And no matter how hard we try to break this off, we cannot. It's human nature.

And this post shows it well. The stubbornness in the kid who thought that the little treasure he had at hand was the best. Little did he know that something greater and far more expensive was waiting for him to surrender the old one to retrieve it.

However, I'm quite confused with your father's sudden change of behavior. Perhaps you could try to look through it again (if you have the time or are interested in doing so). Personally, I am quite intrigue by the actions and character of the father. I would want to see the darker side before his sudden switch of personality.

But remember, this is just my opinion (and it differs from person to person). Overall, good post. And I would like to read more of it as soon as possible.

Good job thus far.

Anonymous said...

thank you jon! your opinions are greatly appreciated.

the reason why the father wasn't actually 'potrayed' as dark or evil was simply because the father was never meant to be evil in the first place. it is a mere reaction of a father towards the actions of his kids.

as the saying goes, "The same hand that strikes in rage, holds in love", and the father slapped not out of hatret but out of the anger that his son would actually steal something from him.

perhaps between the lines, you might be able to sense the disappointment and the frustration of the father over what his son is doing. he, the father, only wants the best for his kid, yet the kid only holds on to something so mediocre that it's not worthy to be held in his hands in the first place. putting myself into the shoes of the father, i would have been terribly upset with my son too.

no father that slaps his child is evil. yes, it would probably be a natural reaction, but it also highlights the fact that it hurts a father more than the child when he slaps the kid, yet necessary out of love and discipline.

i'm checking your blog now jon! good day and cheers.

Fiona said...

great entry as usual. keep on writing. =) take care and God bless!

~ bkvithx ~ said...

when one door closes....
another opens...

joash.... you have many yet to be unlocked and be discovered....
but not necessarily one has to close for it....

keep your goals in mind always,
you might be a changed boy , no man, since the last time we spoke....

but i will alwayz believe you will stick to your principles in life

good luck my dear friend.

~kavitha~

---keep writing your blogs, cause it helps these tears from going to waste.....

Mandy :) said...

indeed bro.. i'm glad u can still hear the voice of the Father asking that u return what belongs to Him.. it's never easy, i know, but once we open our clenched fists and finally let go, i also know that the greatest reward that comes with it is the joy and peace that can only spring forth from that kind of obedience. and take it from me, it's worth it.. every bit. :) so hang in there bro! praying for ya :)

HeartzOfGold said...

thanks beloved.. amen to that. yes, it's nvr easy to always obey wat e father says.. but believing tat something good will come out of it ya.

gloria :) said...

a very beautiful story..

i love all ur stories..and ur new layout is nice too!

keep it up, joash!

Licia said...

two words!
awesome storyteller!