Monday, January 1, 2007

The Feeling of New

I love new pens, new computer games and new handphones. Basically, who doesn't love new things?

I love new things because it keeps me in anticipation. It keeps me wondering, how long is this pen going to last me? My last pen only lasted me 2 weeks, how about this pen? This new computer game, what elements do they have inside? The makers said it is a continued episode of the NFS Most Wanted, so is it going to be as fun as the last one I played? What are the functions of my new handphone? How long can I use it? I paid, RM 1000 for it, will it be worth the money?

I love new things because it challenges me. I am challenged to make sure that I don't drop my pen this time because like the last pen, if it were to drop it will spoil. I am challenged to finish up the whole new game in 2 weeks and get a high score. I am challenged to take good care of my new phone so that I can use it for the next 5 years.

I love new things because it gives me something fresh and new that I can enjoy and appreciate. The grip of the new pen, the touch and its ink is always different and never the same as other pens. The way I play a new game is different, different keys, different levels, different enemies or missions. The new phone has a different way of keying in a sms, different way of checking for the numbers I've dialled or received. The differences and new things always excite and interest me.

I love new things becasue in one way or the other, it brings back fond memories of the old things. A new pen will sometimes make me remember how nice the last pen was, it's ink never got jammed till the last day it could be used, the new game will remind me of how much easier this game is to play compared to the last game which was way too complicated or technical, and my new phone would probably remind me of how nice the soft keypads of the old phone was because I've seasoned the keypads already.

So many reasons to love new things.

And to bring it to today's context, in answering the question whether "Do I love the new year?" I'd have to say yes. I do love the new year. Because the new year is a year that are going to be full of surprises. Every year has its surprises. Reflecting on last year I was terribly surprised to even believe that I could've fall in love. I couldn't believe that I would be studying in INTEC UiTM, and meeting a bunch of great church folks in New Life Shah Alam like Jason, Justina, Joel, Caleb, Joshua, Phebe, Pastor Tham and Phebe or Pastor Joshua. People that I can call friends, people that I can share my blog with *smile* and people that I can laugh with, with no fear of being backstabbed or betrayed.

The new year gives me hope and a future. It is the beginning of a new period of time in our journey and it gives me the opportunity to start fresh and to pick myself up from where I left. It grants me a better insight after a short break to focus on what I need to do and to restrategise my game of chess. It gives me a chance to not make the mistakes I've made in the last year, and also the chances to make wiser and better decisions.

The new year is the future, and with every new thing comes new expectations. Expecting the best of myself in the best of the year, but prepared and ready for the stumbles and falls. Welcome to the new year people. Happy 2007, may the joy and laughter of 2006 be further enhanced in this new year, and may the tears of 2006 all be reminders and lessons for all of us to not put each other into tears, but to encourage one another when we need it the most.

Cheers. A toast to the Creator of time.

2 comments:

.:Justina:. said...

Hello, Happy New Year again ! .. Uhh, u mentioned my name, so honoured to be your friend. Loved the times the youth were togetha =p
See ya soon !!
p.s: banyaknye postings

Anonymous said...

Hey thank too for being part of NLRC. Couldn't ask God for a better person to be the one that takes the step or breaks the silence. It helps!